Monday, December 5, 2016

Out of the Box

This is over the edge, even for me-----but I have wanted to do some knitting for the Cancer Center and this need keeps arising.

The pattern for these prostheses if from Knitted Knockers. I'm not sure if the item itself or the name makes me blush more....ahem.

In the U.S., silicone prostheses breasts can cost upwards of $500 and insurance doesn't always cover the cost.  These knitted ones are provided free to anyone who needs them.

All they need do is contact knittedknockers.org and they can get in touch with the people who will send them what they need.

Mine are being made in conjunction with a local yarn shop for the Center for Cancer Care.

I signed up today as a volunteer knitter with the Hospital.  I hope my arthritis cooperates so I can have many opportunities to make needed items, from these prostheses to knitted toys for children who enter the ER.


The pair at the bottom are size A.  The one on top is a size D.  They are given to the patient without being fully closed in the back so she can add or remove stuffing for a fit to her liking.  They are knitted out of cotton yarn for comfort against tender and scarring skin.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.